Monday, March 30, 2009
Model Minority
I went on a retreat this past weekend and we discussed the idea that Asian Americans are a "model minority." What effects does this have on the Asian community? What happens when we cannot live up to this idea? Can we be emotionally damaged? I say yes. I've been successful so far and probably done my share to perpetuate this stereotype. High school valedictorian, full tuition academic scholarship, Dean's list....the list goes on. I like to think that model minority hasn't played a role in my successes, in my family's successes, but other people certainly seem to think it does. I have gotten this comment on numerous occasions: "Oh, you did well because you're Asian." Is this fair to me? Is this fair to my fellow Asian Americans? Is it fair to other minorities?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You owe your success to no one but yourself. The fact is that there are some really smart people, some really dumb people, and a lot of really average people in every race. But somewhere along history, people's ignorance about the Asian American culture has placed on us the stereotype that Asians are naturally
ReplyDeleteGerman engineering is considered by many to be the best in the world. So why doesn't anyone ever say:"Oh it's because you are German"? Because that is not a stereotype. You'd probably just be confused if anyone ever said that to you. I know I would.
In the end, don't feel like you are restricted to anything you want to do in life because of your heritage. It is only when we challenge those barriers that they begin to break.
naturally smart*
ReplyDelete