*disclaimer: I am in no way making any comment on the recent uproar over an opinion piece published in the above-mentioned newspaper. I am talking about my own opinion, which is absolutely unrelated to the subject of that piece.*
Monday, January 18, 2010
Speaking of inclusivity...
Why do I feel as though anytime my opinions differ from my friends that voicing them would be social suicide? Welcome to campus where we preach diversity *disclaimer in fine print: but not of opinion. If you would like to be a free thinker and not go along with the crowd (well there are really two, sometimes three crowds, but you should choose one) then transfer you ass to a different school.* Too bad they didn't tell me that before. I am taking a blogging and commentary class and I had to write an editorial for my first assignment. I knew exactly what topic I wanted to write about, but I also knew that since my professor is the advisor to our student newspaper, there was a possibility it would be published. I am not at the point where I am comfortable publishing my opinion. Why? Because free speech may be my right, but somebody forgot to tell my peers. And right now, I am not willing to be ostracized for doing what I've always been taught to do. I was taught that I have a voice. Too bad I can't use it.
Labels:
diversity,
first amendment,
freedom of speech,
inclusivity,
irony,
opinion,
rights
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment