Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm not sure how to react and how to act

So my Hard Choices in Public Policy professor is a little infamous in certain circles on my campus for his controversial views on racial and cultural effects on students' abilities to be successful and efficient.  I took his class knowing this and also to the surprise of many of my friends because I thought it would be interesting and I wanted to see how his views came out in the course.  I also think it is important to have some professors who you disagree with and who challenge your thoughts or whose beliefs you challenge.  

Anyway, I'm the only student of color in the class.  This has never been the case for me before, at least not since 5th grade.  I don't think I would have cared before I got here to a school that is mostly white.  The fact that I am the only one in his class is telling.  

Anyway, he was talking today about the scholastic success of Asian Americans and how their parents push them.  Students are agreeing, then he turns to me.   He says something like, "In your experiences, does this sound familiar?"  

Way to single out the only Asian American in the class.

And the best part?  I only have one Asian parent, so I can't speak for families with 2 Asian parents.  And if I had 2, it would still be wrong for me to speak for all Asian Americans.

And I'm so taken aback that I can only agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment