I guess I should explain the format a bit. I think five skits were presented during the Tunnel, and after each was a debrief led by someone from the Center for Multicultural Excellence.
ASA's skit demonstrates what Asians have faced in America, who we are, and what we are going to do with the future, stressing that there is much individuality and difference under the broad umbrellas of "Asian" and "Asian American." Afterward, Jesus from CME led the debrief. He had all of ASA line up in front of the stage facing the audience. He explained the concept of model minority, and he challenged the audience to explain why it is a harmful generalization.
The audience came back with a lot of responses on how it hurt other minorities, but it took some of ASA, including me, to really get them thinking about how it also negatively affects the very people it describes. I think a lot of people's eyes were opened that day.
Kudos to the other groups who performed thought-provoking skits as well.

Miyeko.
ReplyDeleteI think the movement is so amazing and I'm glad i got to see it twice!
Get psyched for TOO next year.