Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Professor :(

So I spoke with the professor from two days ago today and I was disappointed with the results.  I approached him at the beginning of class and asked if I could speak with him after class, and he said of course.  This is how I remember our conversation after class, it's probably not verbatim.

Me:  Hi.
Prof:  Hello.
Me:  I wanted to talk to you about Tuesday's class.  When you were talking about Asian Americans and you singled me out it made me uncomfortable.
Prof:  Thank you for telling me, I appreciate it.  I apologize, and I promise it won't happen again.

That was it!  I've been agonizing over how to have this conversation for two days, and in the end it lasted 30 seconds!  He didn't ask why or anything, so I did not get the chance to explain why it made me uncomfortable.  He probably just thinks now that I didn't appreciate being singled out, when I really didn't appreciate his looking to me to confirm his stereotype of Asian American parents and students.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

3 comments:

  1. Your state of mind is the most important asset to your power, if you encounter him again in this situation, lure out his conceptions of Asian Americans before you can tell him what it was that bothered you. That allows him to reflect upon what it was that he fell short on. I believe that you can do this =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That's a good idea. I may email him actually, I'm not sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay to wait until you're ready, it should flow naturally =)

    ReplyDelete