Saturday, April 25, 2009

PHC Party

I've been very involved in putting on an event called Project Homeless Connect (PHC) on my campus for the past couple of months.  I was disappointed to learn that there was a Project Homeless Connect party on Thursday, the night before the event.  While I think it is great to raise awareness and get people excited for the event, I feel like whoever organized the party was more ignorant than educated in regards to homelessness.  

The party was a theme party, and apparently you had to dress "homeless" to get in.

This is why I am disappointed, and even a little outraged.  This misses the point entirely.  The great thing about PHC is that not only does it greatly benefit the individuals and families experiencing homelessness who attend, but that it gives the volunteers a chance to put a face on homelessness.  I feel that most people on my campus don't know anything about homelessness, and this PHC party proves it.  
People don't realize that most homeless people often don't fit the stereotypical shopping cart man or bag lady profile.  More than 40% of the homeless in this city have jobs.  More than 60% of the homeless are women and children.

Dressing homeless just perpetuates society's negative image of the homeless, and showcases my fellow students' ignorance.  I would like to know how those who went to the party feel about it after volunteering at PHC the next day.

2 comments:

  1. that is appalling... that's like throwing a party for people with disabilities by pretending to be disabled. I think we need to go kick some butts >=(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope not, I hope PHC gave them some perspective...

    ReplyDelete